Creating custom skins for WoW models is a lot easier than you may think. The whole process just involves editing textures.
- Locate and export the textures you wish to edit.
– When you export models using WoW Model Viewer, it will include the textures.
- Open the texture in Photoshop (or any other image editor). Edit the image to your liking.
- Save the finished texture.
– It is recommended you save in either PNG or TGA format.
– You can use 3D Studio Max (or another 3D program) to preview the results.
By using a few Photoshop filters, you can give custom textures a more cartoonish look. This method is copied from this tutorial.
- Open the texture in Photoshop.
- Apply Blur > Smart Blur. Try the values I used, Radius 10 and Threshold of 30.
- Apply Stylize > Diffuse. Make sure it is set to Anisotropic. This will give you a nice brush stroke effect.
When you are happy with the result, play with Levels or Brightness/Contrast to tweak the color value of the texture. Your end result should be something like this.